Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Last Romantic



When I first heard Grace, I dismissed it as an overblown studio production, using a guy with good looks to get a few hits. What I didn't know then, is how often I would return to the album time and time again for its clarity and unique beauty. As hard as it is to realize, there are not many rock records that embrace the passion, vulnerability and insecurity that often comes with romance- at least none that have ever put it as eloquently as Grace. Sure there are singles- "Nothing Compares 2 U" or "Love Will Tear Us Apart" or "How Soon Is Now?"- but no cohesive album has ever measured up to Buckley's debut in its consistent yearning and heart.



Once again, I have returned to Grace and find myself discovering more with each listen. One thing being that, while this is album is about love, it is more about heartbreak and hope. Maybe it's more obvious than I initially thought, but I understood the crashing chords and soothing melodies as new found love without ever really hearing the lyrics. Now, Jeff Buckley's brooding message and climaxing chords nearly bring about tears. Take "Lover, You Should Have Come Over":

Lover You Should Have Come Over by luxataltpress


Lonely is the room, the bed is made, the open window lets the rain in
Burning in the corner is the only one who dreams he had you with him
My body turns and yearns for a sleep that will never come

It's never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
It's never over, all my riches for her smiles when i slept so soft against her
It's never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
It's never over, she's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever

Well maybe i'm just too young
To keep good love from going wrong

Oh... lover, you should've come over

Jeff Buckley could make listeners feel the pain and anguish in his writing, amongst good company like Leonard Cohen, Nina Simone, Lauryn Hill, and Morrissey. His talent and presence was certainly lost far too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment